Sunday, October 11, 2009

Last year on i'm a teacher; what's your superpower....

Just to catch everyone up, this is my second year teaching self-contained special education (that's where you have the children with all types of disabilities, cognitive, mental, behavioral, pretty much all day in one classroom). I teach 4th through 6th grade, but my kids range in age from 10 to 14. Last year was my first year and I made it with the 5 little ones that I had. This year I have 11 students. The hardest part of my job is taking 11 little (and kinda big) people on every level you can imagine, in every subject and attempting to reach all of them in 8 hours a day. So far this year, my classroom was struck by lightning (while we were in it) destroying 2 of my 5 computers and my printer. Also a little girl who, I'm sure most people thought could learn nothing, is actually putting letters, sounds and words together on a regular basis. I have been thrown into a bookshelf due to a tantrum about losing recess. One of my former students lost a 16 year old sibling to, what appears to be a drive by. At the beginning of the year I cried a lot, because I was almost certain I couldn't do it all, but as each day comes I manage to get closer and closer to actually doing it all. My students are HILARIOUS, as you will see in the coming posts. They also still manage to adore me and grow every day despite my shortfalls. If any of you have ever been a teacher, or want to be a teacher, or just want to read about the experience...enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment