Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Night Kitchen


Yesterday, ancillary was cancelled and my back up plan is to have the kids watch these Scholastic DVDs with classic children's stories on them and then have them do some type of comprehension activity. I put in the Maurice Sendak one and the class is really enjoying "Where the Wild Things Are." A couple of other stories come on and then this one comes up "In the Night Kitchen." Everything is going fine, when the main character of the book, Mickey, falls through the air and his clothes disappear. This child, who appears to be about three, is spinning through the air in full frontal, cartoon nudity. Of course, all 12 of my students begin loudly screaming and laughing. Mortified (and laughing hysterically), I turn the video off and attempt to calm them down to a reasonable volume. It literally took 15 minutes (and the rest of ancillary time) for us all to stop. After school, I looked up this crazy book on the internet and finished watching the story. This is definitely the weirdest childrens book I have ever read in my life. I can't seem to find a moral, or any reason for Mickey to keep stripping down to nothing. These three Hitler-esque cooks keep chasing him and telling him he's milk, and at the end it says "and that's why we have cake for breakfast." Clearly this is the result of a bad acid trip. This book won tons of awards in the 70s, causing me to put much less faith in the whole book review system. Check out the video yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment